Last week, I received my first spring seed catalog. And while it’s a bit early for me to even think about ordering seed for next year, it is an early reminder to test some of the seed stock I currently have on hand. Checking the quality of the seed you save is just as important as saving it. After all, there’s nothing more disappointing than spending hours planting seeds that either germinates slowly, patchy, unevenly, or (gasp) not at all. So, whether you save your own seed or lean heavily towards “accumulating” seed, you should be testing at least a portion of your stash every winter. Read the entire article here.
- Follow Share the Seed on WordPress.com
- 5th Annual West Plains Seed and Plant Swap
- Seed Saving Time: Radishes
- The Role of Flowers in Pollination
- Seed Saving Time: Testing Germination Rates
- Grow Pure Seed with Blossom Bags
- Seed Saving Time: Harvesting Dry Seeds
- Seed Saving Time: Legumes
- Why Save Seed? GMO’s and Your Garden
- BORROW…GROW…SHARE! A New Seed Library in Springfield, MO
- Saving Seed Equals Healthier Plants
- Why Save Seed? Selection & Genetic Diversity
- 4th Annual West Plains Share the Seed Seed & Plant Swap
- Share the Seed Thanks Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
- Share the Seed Welcomes a New Chapter!
- Winter Seed Saving: Pumpkins and Squash
- Thank You, Baker Creek!
- Seed Saving Time: Ripe Seeds and the Float Test
- Pink Cucumber Beetle? Look again!
- Seeds of Significance – OP Seed Sources
- Seed Saving Time: Spinach
- 2017 Arkansas Baker Creek Heirloom Seed bean bloom bag, blossom bag, gardening, how to, isolating varieties, seed saving cross pollination demonstration garden distribution donations dry seeds earth-sheltered greenhouse events flowers gardening genetic diversity GMO's harvesting healthy plants heirloom heirloom seeds holidays how to jill henderson Justin Huhn lettuce meeting notes Missouri open-pollinated over-seeding and selection packaging seeds pea pit greenhouse plant starts pollination potluck gathering preventing GMO contamination pumpkins quality seed resources save money saving seed seed exchange seed saving seed swap selection Share the Seed show me oz Sotuhern Exposure Seed Exchange storage times testing germination the garden seed saving guide The Seedkeepers tutorial walipini West Plains White Dog Walipini and Homestead winter gardening winter squash